Still Golden

Phew, it has been a busy past few days! Ever since getting back from vacation, we've been running around like chickens with their heads cut off, but I couldn't let a certain anniversary pass without at least mentioning it. Monday marked 30 years since the debut of my all-time favorite show, The Golden Girls!

Who could've guessed that a show about four old ladies would become such a huge hit? Even now, The Golden Girls has a huge fan base, particularly among young people, interestingly enough.

(Wait a minute...when I said "young people," I was thinking of people my age, but it just occurred to me that I may not qualify as a young person anymore. I mean, I'm almost as old as the show is. Well...just indulge me this time, will ya?)

It's hard to pinpoint the exact time that I began to love The Golden Girls. I've always liked it, even when I was too young to understand some of the jokes; but I think my appreciation for it really took off sometime in high school. One day I just realized that several things in everyday life were reminding me of lines from the show. Like, if one of my friends said, "I just had a thought..." it took everything in my power not to respond with "Congratulations." Or when my family would sit down to watch Jeopardy! together, I would often say to myself, "It's my favorite show. Wowee!"

Since then, I've acquired every season on DVD. I also gave a speech on The Golden Girls in my public speaking class in college. (Our speeches had to be based on a subject in which we considered ourselves experts...) I still reference the show in regular conversation. I'm thinking of dressing Little Cute Girl as Sophia for Halloween this year. I guess you could say I'm a bit of a fan.

Happy, Happy Anniversary to The Golden Girls! You will always be my favorite show. (Wowee!)

Thank you for being a friend,
E

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Fit Friday: Eat Like a Kid

Great-ful

My 99 in 999, Part 2