Great-ful

I turn 29 tomorrow.

I really, really love my birthday. I still count down the days like I did when I was a kid. Even this year, while I'm fighting a nasty sinus infection and probably won't do much of anything tomorrow, I'm beside myself with anticipation. I just can't help myself.

This year I'm feeling especially reflective. As I embark on the last year of my 20s, I've been thinking a lot about my 20th birthday. I was a junior at Clemson, and I spent the night in the library, working on a paper that was due the next morning. Truth be told, I didn't feel much like celebrating that particular birthday. I was not at all excited about turning 20. It seemed like I was surrounded by people who'd had all these amazing life experiences, and I hadn't done much of anything. At least that's what I told myself.

Well, here I am, nine years older, and I still haven't learned how to snowboard. I've never been to Europe, or even to the West Coast. I'm not even close to the career I was pursuing back then. But I have a great life. I'm healthy. I have a loving, faithful, hardworking husband and a beautiful, strong, happy little girl. I have a comfortable home. I'm a member of a solid, Bible-believing church. The list goes on and on. And beyond all of that, I know that my sins are forgiven and I'm going to heaven when I die. Even if I had nothing else in this life, that would be enough.

Here's the thing, though: My life was great back then too. I really regret that I was too self-centered to appreciate it. But no more. I'm determined to treat every birthday from here on out as an opportunity to be grateful for what I have, rather than dwelling on what I don't have.

So, bring it on, 29! I'm ready for you!

Comments

  1. Glad to be a part of your life! Happy Birthday, honey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Fit Friday: Eat Like a Kid

My 99 in 999, Part 2