Get Fit Friday: Eat Like a Kid


Starting out with a couple of celebrations today:
1) Worked out three times this week, in spite of having a nasty cold.
2) Ran on the treadmill for four whole minutes last Thursday! It might not sound like much to some of you, but this is a huge fitness milestone for me. It's been years since I was able to run for even one minute, let alone four. This is not simply due to being overweight; I've also had asthma for over two years now, so being able to run at all without having an asthma attack is a pretty big deal.

There have been a few lowlights as well:
1) I'd made some good progress with losing the holiday pounds, but I'm up about half a pound from last week. Could be worse, I guess.
2) Ripped a hole in a pair of jeans I bought less than a month ago. It was a weird rip, too; not on the seam, but kind of started from the seam and went toward the middle. Ugh. I'd like to assume that they ripped because they just weren't very good quality, but it's hard not to feel like my weight has at least something to do with it.

Eat Like a Kid
So, here's what I've been thinking about lately: My kids eat healthier than I do. I'm not super-strict about their diet, but I do try to make sure they get fruit and/or veggies at every meal, eat a sufficient amount of protein, stay hydrated, and practice moderation with sugar and processed foods. I consider it both a privilege and a responsibility to look after their health and well-being in this particular way. But when I sit down to eat with them, I notice that fruit and veggies are usually absent from my plate, and I also find myself sneaking junk food throughout the day when they're not looking. Why do I do this?

I believe the answer is two-fold:
1) Pride is a huge problem for me, especially when it comes to food. I've always thought that one of the great things about being an adult is the freedom to eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and no one's going to tell me what I can and can't eat without getting punched in the face. (OK, I won't really punch you...but I might daydream about punching you. Just saying.) I've always hated being told what to do, though; it's not just a grown-up problem. My parents can attest that I don't do anything just because someone tells me to; I'll do it because I've decided for myself that it's what I'm supposed to be doing. (God bless my parents. I know that must've given them so many headaches when I was growing up.) And so it is with healthy eating. I'm figuring out for myself, albeit a little late in life, that I can't just eat junk all the time. Yes, I'm allowed to eat whatever I want, whenever I want, but maybe I just need to train myself to want more of the right things. Like the apostle Paul said, "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial..." (1 Cor. 6:12 CSB) Also, I feel like God is using my weight-loss journey to break me of pride and make me more open to the good advice of others. I can't help but think that if I had listened to doctors, my WW meeting leaders, and others who know what they're talking about when it comes to nutrition and diet, I might be a little healthier than I am today.
2) Apparently I don't think very highly of myself. I was hit by this realization just recently, and it floored me. I asked myself why I make my kids' health a priority, and the answer I came up with was that they're important to me. They are made in the image of God. They have incalculable worth. They matter. But can't all of those things be said of me as well? I'm made in God's image. I have incalculable worth. I matter. I know in my heart that those are true statements; I just haven't been acting like I believe it. Besides, it really is true what they say: If you don't take care of yourself, you won't be able to take care of anyone else. I want to be healthy so that I can not only continue to take good care of my kids, but also set a good example for them.

So, I think my follow-up for this week will just be to take the guidelines for my kids' diet and apply them to my own: fruit and/or veggies with every meal, eat more protein, drink plenty of water, and avoid excess sugar and processed foods with only the occasional splurge. Wish me luck!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My 99 in 999, Part 2

Great-ful