Quiche the Girl

I...love...quiche.

I love it. I don't care what's in it. I don't care whether it's served in the form of a wedge or a mini-tart. If it's within my reach, I will eat it. But apparently I've been making it the wrong way my entire life, until now.

Tom's brother Patrick gave us Alton Brown's Good Eats cookbook a few Christmases ago, and it had a basic quiche recipe: two eggs, a cup of half-and-half, a pinch of nutmeg, and a 9-inch pie crust.

Half-and-half...? Nutmeg...?! *head asplode*

I've always made quiche with just a lot of eggs for the base. I can't believe it never even occurred to me to use milk, much less half-and-half. (And we happened to have some half-and-half because we used our ice cream maker for the first time the other day!) And the nutmeg makes so much sense to me; a little bit adds a lot of warmth, very different from the results you get with salt and pepper.

Anyway, Alton also provided a chart with suggestions for what to put into the quiche. I think there were eight different 3-part combos, most of them being meat/veggie/cheese. I came up with my own combo because I had some chorizo sausage I wanted to use, and Alton didn't have suggestions for that. So I used onions and green bell pepper, with some fiesta blend cheese. Then I poured on the glorious half-and-half/egg/nutmeg mixture and baked it.

The finished product! (I didn't take the time to make the edges pretty. Sue me.)

My second helping. :)

Oh my goodness. Delicious doesn't even begin to describe it. The half-and-half made such a huge difference; I've never had a quiche that was so creamy. I don't think I'll ever be able to make it any other way. Alton Brown, you are the man!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Fit Friday: Eat Like a Kid

Great-ful

My 99 in 999, Part 2