Get Fit Friday: Mini-Goals

Wow, I'm really killing it in the consistency department. I debuted Get Fit Friday three weeks ago and haven't posted since. Welp, there's a mini-goal for myself: to actually show up once a week for this thing.


I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving last week. We actually celebrated Thanksgiving twice (once with my family on Thursday and once with T's family on Saturday), and both times were wonderful. I didn't track my calories; instead, I just tried to be mindful of portion sizes. I wasn't even super careful about that, though, if I'm honest. There was quite a bit of "I'm on vacation, so calories don't matter" mentality going on with me, which at one point translated into eating leftover mashed potatoes at midnight while working on a crossword puzzle.

As an aside, I think Mashed Potatoes at Midnight will be the title of my autobiography.

My mother-in-law and I celebrated our birthdays together last weekend, which meant cake and ice cream after the Thanksgiving feast. Also, this week has been quite the emotional rollercoaster for me, and I've turned to food more times than I care to admit. I was convinced that the scale would reflect all of that, but it actually didn't change at all from my previous weigh-in from two weeks ago. It was the exact same number, down to the decimal. Trust me, I'm just as confused as you are. My best guess is that maybe I was more active than I thought I was? My Fitbit has been quite happy with me lately, come to think of it. Or maybe I didn't actually eat as much as I thought I did? Heh, doubtful.

Anyway, speaking of mini-goals, that's what I thought I'd talk about today. Anyone who's trying to lose weight usually has a goal in mind whether it's a number on the scale, a particular clothing size, you name it. Those goals are often large and can be somewhat intimidating, maybe even to the point where you might feel discouraged that you're not meeting those goals as quickly as you'd like. To combat that, I've set some mini-goals for myself. I find that this really helps me stay motivated and allows me to reflect on the progress I've made so far, instead of focusing solely on how far I still have to go. Here are some of my mini-goals:

  • lose 5 pounds
  • lose another 5 pounds (and on and on...you get the picture)
  • exercise at least 3 times a week
  • get 10,000 steps a day
  • drink 80 ounces of water a day

As an additional incentive, I give myself a little reward whenever I meet my mini-goals for weight loss. Actually, I gave my sweet husband a list of things I might like, and every time I lose five pounds, he gets one for me. They're all just little things, but they're things I know I won't buy for myself just because I feel like it, like a fun new nail polish, a silly coffee mug, or a candle.

I should also mention that there are no food rewards on my list. I once saw a meme that said "Don't reward yourself with food. You are not a dog." That really stuck with me.

Do you have any mini-goals? Do you reward yourself for them? I'd love to hear all about it, so drop me a comment. See you next week (hopefully)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Fit Friday: Eat Like a Kid

Great-ful

My 99 in 999, Part 2