{99 in 999} That Being Said...

So, about a month ago, we did a thing: We moved to Charlotte! T got a new job, so we sold our house in Louisville and moved to Charlotte all within a matter of weeks, which is a lot easier said than done when you have two small children, not to mention a ton of stuff (we did a LOT of decluttering...but that's a separate post).

We're loving our new city! In addition to having lots of fun stuff to do, we're also a few minutes away from any store or restaurant you could think of. My favorite discovery so far is just down the road from our house. It's a full-fledged brick-and-mortar Family Video store. Talk about a blast from the past; I had no idea any video-rental stores were still around in 2018! It's great, though; they have just about every title you could think of, including several that you can't find on Netflix or Redbox. In fact, to save a bit of cash each month, we've cancelled our Netflix subscription because renting from Family Video is way cheaper. We've already rented two movies from there, both Best Picture winners that count toward my 99-in-999 list!

The first one was Birdman, which won Best Picture for 2014. I was really excited about this one. I mean, Michael Keaton playing a washed-up actor whose only memorable role was a superhero...? Come on! That being said, I was pretty disappointed. I found it to be confusing, crude, and, honestly, a bit disturbing. Also, none of the characters were very likable at all. Maybe my expectations were too high. Or maybe the movie just wasn't that good. Bummer.

The second one I just watched yesterday, 12 Years a Slave (2013). Now this one was actually quite good, maybe one of my favorites among recent Best Picture winners: an incredible cast (Chiwetel Ejiofor, Lupita Nyong'o, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Brad Pitt, just to name a few), and a moving story based on real events. That being said...I'm not sure I can recommend this one either. So, so graphic. I have no doubt that it's an accurate portrayal of the American South in the 1800s, which makes it all the more heartbreaking to know that real human beings treated other real human beings with such cruelty. If you do happen to watch it, be sure to have the Kleenex on standby, because this movie will make you grieve for the human race.

And that's it for now! I haven't really made much other progress on the 99-in-999 list, and it's pretty obvious that some things just flat-out won't get done because they involve a house that we no longer have! I'm going to keep plugging away at what I can, though, and I'll keep you posted. Ta-ta for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Fit Friday: Eat Like a Kid

Great-ful

My 99 in 999, Part 2