Let's Talk About Snot, Baby

Earlier this week, we took a family day trip up to Cincinnati! We desperately needed to replace our sofa, so we went to IKEA. Every time I go there, I'm amazed at the simple but clever design of their products. It's like, forehead-smacking, "that-makes-so-much-sense," "how-come-no-one's-ever-thought-of-that-before" clever.

The Swedish, man. They're geniuses. And today I want to rave about another amazing product that hails from Sweden: the NoseFrida.


Just before I left my office job to become a full-time mommy, I was showered with tons of baby gifts, including a NoseFrida from my coworker, Stephanie. She gave it to me with the disclaimer that the concept might sound kinda gross, but that I would love it. See, it's an infant nasal aspirator that's designed to be more effective and sanitary than a bulb syringe when it comes to clearing stuffy noses. As you can see from the picture on the box, the pointy end of the blue tube goes into the baby's nose, and (here comes the gross part...) the red part goes into your mouth, so you're literally sucking the snot out.

Now, before you start gagging and telling me what a disgusting person I am for liking this weird product, just hear me out. It's totally legit. Inside the blue tube, there's a filter that keeps the snot contained, so there's no risk of sucking snot into your mouth. (OK, even I gagged at that statement.) Then you just clean it out after use. All parts except the filters and the long, white tube are dishwasher-safe; replacement filters are included, and the tube can be cleaned with a few drops of rubbing alcohol. And unlike bulb syringes, all of the NoseFrida's parts are clear, so you can be 100% sure it's clean.

My little girl came down with a nasty cold two nights ago. She's only a year old, so she hasn't exactly mastered the whole nose-blowing thing just yet. So I tried using the NoseFrida on her, and Oh. My. Goodness. I couldn't believe how well it worked! It was so much faster and more effective than a bulb syringe, and I actually sort of appreciated that all the parts were clear because I could see exactly how much snot I was getting out, and what it looked like. (Yes, that's gross, but it's important to know what it looks like. Moms and healthcare professionals know what I'm talking about.) She's almost completely over her cold already, and I'm positive that the NoseFrida played no small part in that.

In my humble opinion, no parent of an infant should ever be without a NoseFrida. I'm so glad I got past the initial weirdness and gave it a try, and I hope something I've said here inspires others to do the same. For even more info on it, visit their website.

By the way, NoseFrida isn't paying me to hock their product or anything. I'm just really, really excited about it! Thanks, Stephanie! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Fit Friday: Eat Like a Kid

Great-ful

My 99 in 999, Part 2