Going Bananas

I'll be honest: I'm not a huge fan of combining chocolate and fruit. I don't know what it is, but something about it just doesn't taste right to me. Unless that fruit is a banana. Bananas are creamier than most other fruits, so I guess it meshes better in my mind, I dunno. So, this week we happened to have some very ripe bananas, which pretty much automatically means banana bread is on the way. And we also happened to have some leftover chocolate chips (from a fantastic chocolate mousse that Tom made on Valentine's Day). So I found a recipe that looked like it could be easily tweaked to add chocolate chips, and the result was an oat-y banana bread that had just a touch of sweetness. It's also relatively low-fat, thanks to the use of applesauce instead of oil or butter.

And I should mention, it comes with a lot less drama than that disaster of a banana chocolate chip pound cake I attempted last year...

So, it didn't rise as much as other banana bread recipes, but just look at all that chocolate in there...yum!

Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bread
(adapted from weightwatchers.com's Banana-Oatmeal Bread)

Yield: 10 servings, 6 PPV per serving

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
3 eggs
2 large, very ripe bananas
1 cup uncooked oats
2/3 cup bittersweet/semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, mash bananas and beat in eggs and applesauce. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir just until combined (over-mixing will make the bread too dry). Gently stir in oats and chocolate chips.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If the edges start to brown too early, place some aluminum foil on top, but don't seal it.

1 serving = 1 slice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Fit Friday: Eat Like a Kid

Great-ful

My 99 in 999, Part 2