Vegan, Anyone?

I'm not a vegan by any stretch of the imagination, but Tom and I have been trying to eat a lot more veggies and a lot less "bad" stuff lately. So tonight I made up a butternut squash soup based on some familiar flavors, and it's--you guessed it--totally vegan. And also totally delicious.


Ugh, I am kicking myself for not taking pictures of the whole cooking process. I'm also kicking myself for taking a picture of the finished product with my phone instead of my camera. Just by looking at this, would you believe that this soup is actually a pretty shade of orange...? *sigh* You're just going to have to make it and see for yourself.

Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 4-6 servings

1 tablespoon canola oil
1-1/3 cup chopped onion
2 medium-sized apples - cored and cut into chunks
2 pounds butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
2 teaspoons ground sage
1 carton (32 oz.) vegetable broth
Kosher salt

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add apple, onion, squash, and sage; stir until coated. Cover for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally. Place vegetables in a blender with a splash of broth, and puree until smooth. Pour mixture back into pot and add remaining broth; stir to combine. Return heat to medium, and simmer until heated through. Add salt to taste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Fit Friday: Eat Like a Kid

Great-ful

My 99 in 999, Part 2