To-Do List

Today is the first day of fall! I think this is my favorite season, especially since we moved to Louisville. Tom and I have come up with a list of things to do this fall, so that we can make the most of it. The list includes things like going to a high school football game, apple picking, and going for a drive in the country to look at leaves.

One of the things that really excites me about this time of year (in addition to the things on our list) is thinking about all the yummy foods that are typically only enjoyed during the colder months. It inspired me to make another to-do list, specifically for fall/winter recipes. And here it is!

Old favorites:
chili
biscotti
sweet potato casserole

Classics to try for the first time:
roasted pumpkin seeds
beef stew
chicken and dumplings
white chicken chili
butternut squash soup
baked apples
pumpkin roll
pumpkin ice cream
apple butter

Did you notice that one item was already crossed off the list? I made what will probably be the first of many pots of chili earlier this week. And this time I documented it! With my sub-par cell phone camera, but documented nonetheless.

Start with the ground turkey:


Next, chop and add the bell pepper:


In addition to frozen onions, I also recently came across frozen green bell peppers. *sigh* So convenient.


Next come the canned goods:





Don't forget to rinse out the chili bean can by filling it with water and pouring it into the pot. Don't let all that flavor go to waste!


I love how colorful this chili is...what a one-pot wonder. Let it simmer a nice, long while. Go take a bubble bath (or, you know, something realistic, like folding laundry, which is what I did).

When you're ready to serve, do me a favor...


Don't forget the cornbread! I added a little cinnamon to the batter this time, just for some extra warmth. Welcome to my life, fall.


Here's the tweaked chili recipe, which involves a lot more veggies and a lot less measuring. :)

1 lb. ground turkey
1 chopped green bell pepper
1 chopped yellow or red bell pepper
1 c. chopped onion
2 cans chili-ready tomatoes
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can chili beans

Brown ground turkey in a large pot on medium heat. Do not drain! Add peppers and onion, and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add tomatoes and beans. Fill chili bean can with water and pour into the pot. Bring up to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Fit Friday: Eat Like a Kid

Great-ful

My 99 in 999, Part 2